Monday, January 4, 2010

Song of the Week (New Year Edition)

I almost always take any opportunity I get to bash on Death Cab for Cutie. They seem to me a band that really could have done some unique and interesting things but instead opted to write formulaic radio-ready ballads. In my college days I was a pretty big fan of their earlier stuff like The Photo Album and We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, but as their sound has become more and more produced and wimpy, I have been completely turned off by them. That said, this is a pretty great song that I've always thought was about the hell of long-distance relationships and feeling deflated in the middle of everyone else's parade - a perfect way to bring in the new year!

2 comments:

  1. And here's some exciting news about yet another band that fails to impress you.

    http://www.altpress.com/news/vampirestream.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going to post a link about their new tour for people who cared. Now I don't have to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete